Winslow R Briggs joined the board in 1968 and retired from the board in 2008. He is Director Emeritus of the Division of Plant Biology, Carnegie Institution of Washington in Palo Alto, California. Dr. Briggs did his undergraduate and graduate work at Harvard University, where he received his doctorate in biology in 1956. He served for twelve years on the Stanford University faculty and then for six as Professor of Biology at Harvard, before becoming Director of the Division of Plant Biology at Carnegie. His research interests include plant growth physiology, biochemistry and photobiology. He has made notable contributions to an understanding of the biophysical and biochemical properties and physiological roles of several classes of photoreceptors involved in determining the course of plant development.
Belton A. Copp, one of the incorporators of the Foundation, is now retired senior partner of his law firm, Copp, Berall and Hempstead. He served as clerk of the Foundation until 1970 and as a member of the Board until 2003 . A graduate of Yale College, he received his law degree from the Yale Law School in 1947, after serving in the Navy during World War II. In the early 1950s he pursued graduate studies in the Yale Conservation Program. He has long been actively interested in various aspects of conservation and resource management and has developed legal instruments for the permanent protection of natural areas. He has served as a director or officer of various conservation-oriented institutions and as commissioner on state boards having to do with natural resources and education.
Richard H. Goodwin, Sr., one of the Foundation’s incorporators, was Professor Emeritus of Botany at Connecticut College. He served as the Foundation’s president for its first 41 years and then for the next 7 as its secretary. He was a Trustee for 54 years until his death in 2007. He was a graduate of Harvard University, from which he received his doctorate in biology in 1937. He served on the faculty of the University of Rochester before coming to Connecticut College in 1944 as Chairman of the Botany Department, Director of the Connecticut College Arboretum and, later, as Director of the Interdepartmental Major in Human Ecology. He also served for twenty seven years as a Commissioner of the Connecticut Geological and Natural History Survey. He became active with The Nature Conservancy in its formative years, serving for four years as its volunteer president and twenty as a member of its board of governors. He was also on the boards of the American Institute of Biological Sciences and The Institute of Ecology. His research interests have included the physiology and development of plants and vegetation dynamics.
Hubert W. Vogelmann joined the board in 1978 and served as president from 1994 to 2001. A graduate of Heidelberg College, Dr. Vogelmann received his doctorate in botany at the University of Michigan in 1955. He joined the faculty of the University of Vermont and became Chairman of the Botany Department (now the Department of Plant Biology). Within the state he was very involved in conservation activities. He was the author of two reports on the natural areas of Vermont and, as Chairman of the Vermont Chapter of The Nature Conservancy, was effective in working towards their preservation. He served on the Conservancy’s national Board of Governors, and later on the board of The Conservation Fund. His research interests included the taxonomy of vascular plants, the ecology of arctic-alpine vegetation, the role of vegetation in capturing moisture from the air, and the ecological impacts of acid rain.